I requested Clean Eating for Busy Families cookbook back in December when I was feeling well and immediately brought it upstairs to read.
And then life got in the way.
And then I got sick.
And then, life again.
Well, I finally got around to cracking open this cookbook and I am so glad that I did. Here’s the thing … I love what Michelle Dudash has to say. I love her 5 rules for eating clean (including “enjoy every bite”) and her 10 tips for dealing with picky eater (including “Be a positive role model.”)
She not only provides quick, delicious and healthy recipes, but she helps make clean eating a reality by providing shopping lists, tips to get the family on track and her favorite cooking tools.
This cookbook is more than a cookbook … it’s an amazing clean eating resource.
And with recipes like this Orange Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, it’s a cookbook that my family will appreciate.
Reprinted with permission. Original recipe appears in: "Clean Eating for Busy Families" written by Michelle Dudash, R.D.
- FOR SAUCE
- 2 Tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 Tablespoon dark sesame oil
- FOR STIR-FRY:
- 5 1/2 cups bite size broccoli florets
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound flank or flat iron steak, thinly sliced against the grain into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon expeller-pressed grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 orange, 2 teaspoons grated zest, inner segments sliced
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- To Make the Sauce: Stir together all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To Make the Stir Fry: Heat a large frying pan or wok over high heat, add 1 cup of water, and bring to a boil. Add broccoli, reduce heat to a low boil, and cover with a lid or piece of foil, leaving a gap for steam to escape. Steam for 5 minutes until almost fork-tender. Move broccoli to a plate, reserving cooking water in another container.
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle garlic, ginger and salt evenly over the beef. Scrape the pan clean, place it on high heat, and add the oil. When oil is shimmering, add the beef in an even layer and cook for 2 minutes undistributed until brown. Toss with a wooden spoon to break up the pieces, reducing heat to medium-high as needed. Add orange zest and sesame seeds and cook until beef is done, another 2 minutes. Swirl in the sauce, add broccoli, and stir fry to reheat. Add a splash of reserved broccoli water if mixture seems too dry. Serve hot and garnish with orange segments.